Xu Guodong, was born on May 21
(1) Education LL.B., Southwest University of Political Sciences and Law, 1982; LL.M., Postgraduate School of China University of Political Sciences and Law, 1987, J.D., Postgraduate School of China Academy of Social Sciences, 1991; Participant of the perfecting course of civil procedure organized by the Ministery of Justice of China 1983; Participant of the course of contract law of U.S.A. 1985; Participant of the perfecting course of Italian language in the University of Foreign Economy and Trade 1993; Participant of the perfecting course of Roman law in I University of Rome 1995.
(2) Position held Lecturer of civil procedure of Law Department of Jiangxi University 1982-1984; Vice president of Graduate Union 1988; Lecturer and associated professor of Economic Law Department at South Central University of Political Sciences and Law 1992-1993; Professor promoted by breaking rule of seniority at the same university 1994; Visiting scholar of Law Department of II University of Rome 1994-1997; Vice chairman of Union of All Chinese Scholars in Italy 1996-1997; Director of the Institute of Civil and Commercial Codes in South Central University of Political Sciences and Law 1997-2000; Visiting scholar of Law Department of II University of Rome 1998; Professor of Law School at Xiamen University 2000 to date; Tutor of the same university for candidate of J.D 2001 to date; Director of Institute of Roman law in the same law school 2000 to date; Editor in chief of the annual Roman law and modern civil law; Editor in chief of Foreign Civil Code Translation Series 2000 to date.
(3) Courses taught and other services provided to students and the home institution Chair of the courses of Contract law, of Civil law(general part), of Philosophy of civil law, of Theory of codification, of Foreign civil and commercial law，of Roman private law，of History of Roman law; Lecturer of various conferences about different themes made for the students.
Construction on the Basic principles of Civil Law: the Overcoming of Drawbacks
of Written Law,
2. The Debates about the Trains of Thought for drawing up a Chinese Civil Code, Eds. Beijing, Publishing House of China University of Political Sciences and Law, 2001.
Observations in the Western World,
of Civil Law (coauthor)
Jurisprudence of Civil Law: Obligation (coauthor),
1. “Equity and the Theories about Price and Value”, Social Sciences in
2. “The Problem of Opposition and Unity between Objective Good Faith
and Subjective Good Faith: Focus on the Roman law”, Social Sciences in
3. “On the Concept and its Historical Evolution of Good Faith Principle”, Cass Journal of Law, 1989(4)
4. “The Source of Civil Law Prescribed by the General Principles of Civil Law”, Cass Journal of Law, 1991(1).
5. “The Structure-function Model of Modern Civil Codes”, Cass Journal of Law, 1992(1).
6. “On the Epistemological Basis of Future Civil Code of
7. “Civil Society and Civil Law”, Cass Journal of Law, 1994(4).
8. “Civil Code and the Control of Power”, Cass Journal of Law, 1995(1).
9. “The Basic Structure of a Private Draft of Chinese Civil Code”, Cass Journal of Law, 2000(1).
10. “An Analysis on the Dealing Model of Drawbacks of Written Law”, Chinese Legal Science, 1991(3).
11. “Some Issue about Stock and Bond”, Chinese Legal Science, 1992(5).
12. “On the Problem of Perfection of Legal System of Guardianship”, Journal of North West Institute of Political Science and Law, 1987(2).
13. “On the Limits of the Concept of Support”, Law Science 1989(1).
14. “Justinian and his Legislative Cause”, Law Sciences, 1990(5).
15. “The Various Values of Written Law and the Conflicts between Them”, Law Science, 1992(1).
16. “Three Attributes of Written Law: an Equilibrium of Right and Power”, Law Science, 1993(5).
17. “The Problem of Formation of Draft of Civil Code”, Law Science, 1998(4).
18. “On the Principle of Prohibition of Abuse of Right”, Journal of
19. “On the Right of Name of Business Entity”, Journal of
20. “On the Sources of Civil Law”, Studies in Law and Business, 1994(6).
21. “Equality and the Reform of the Constitution”, Studies in Law and Business, 1999(3).
22. “How Should We Consider the Essence of Law today? Studies in Law and Business, 1999(1).
23. “The Reconsideration about Civil Law’s Object and it’s Method of Regulation”, Jurisprudence, 1993(9).
24. “A Historical Study about the Origin and Evolution of the View of Point of Civil Law of Commodity Economy”, Jurisprudence, 2001(10).
25. “The Freedom of Movement
and the Difference between City and Countryside”,
26. “On the Uncertainty of
Basic Principles of Civil Law”,
27. “Family, State and Methodology: the Modern scholars vs. Morgan and Engels”, Peking University Law Journal, 2002(1).
29. “The Problem of External Debts of Latin American Countries: between Law, Economy, Politics and Religion”, Civil and Commercial Law Review, 1996(5).
30. “Thesis of Law Science: between Knowledge, Ignorance and Opinion”, Civil and Commercial Law Review, 1998(11).
31. “The Interchanges of law
32. “Former Soviet Russian Bloc’s Civil and Commercial Code and relative Legislations after East Europe’s Revulsion: Legal History, the Structure of Civil and Commercial Code, Problems of Property Right of Land and of State-owned Enterprise”, Civil and Commercial Law Review, 2000(14).
33. “Two Trains of Thought about the Drawing up Chinese Civil Code: Neo-Humanism vs. Substancesism”, Civil and Commercial Law Review, 2001(20).
34. “The External Laws and Local Laws during Law Evolvement in Various African Countries: the Dual or Trio Variation of Native Law, Islamic Law and Western Law”, Transplanting and Localization of Law, Legal Publishing House, 2001.
35. “How does Law Community of China Walk up to World”? Modern Law Science 1997(4).
36. “On the Private Figure of
Humanity in Civil Law”, Journal of Social Science of
37. “A Brief History of Western Legislative Thoughts and Legislations”, Journal of Comparative Law, 1992(1-3).
38. “Doctor and Professor:
with regard to the Legal Education in
39. “Legal Science and Linguistics”, English Legal Readers, Legal Publishing House, 1999(2).
40. “A Study in Quiritium Law”, Anthology of II Congress
of Roman law in
41. Book Review “Introduction of African Law”: a Readers’
Satisfaction and Dissatisfaction”, West Asia and
42. Book Review, A
Review about Principle of Good Faith and
Equity of Mr. He Xiaoyuan, Studies in
43. “The System of Transnational laws of Roman People in Era of Titus Livius”, Journal of Xiamen University (Arts and social Sciences), 2001(1).
Post-socialism and Euroasiatic Solidarity: A Summary of Colloquia of Romanist of
Central Oriental European Countries and of
45. “When did State Come into Being”? Studies in Private Law, Vol. 1, 2001.
on Contract (co-translator),
Translated from English,
Translation of Justinian’s Legislation: Juridical Act, Translated from Latin,
Translation of Justinian’s Legislation: Torts and Crime, Translated from Latin,
(b) Articles and Legislation
1. “On the Right to Privacy in American law”, The Reference Data about American studies, 1989(11).
3. “The Preface of Civil Code of
4. Uniform Act of Partnership of
5.“The Impact of Religion and Religion Rules to Roman Law”, Translated from Italian, Study in Law and Business, 1996(3).
6. “The Civil Code of Andres
7. “From Status to Contract and the Status System in Roman law”, Translated from Italian, Modern Law Science, 1997(6).
8.“Roman Constitution and Modern European Constitutionalism”, Translated from Italian, Jurisprudence, 1998(4).
9.“The Civil Codification in the Italian States before the Unity and the Italian 1865 Civil Code, Translated from Italian, Roman Law and Modern Civil Law, Vol.1.
10.“The Development of Contract of Transportation from Roman Law to Nowaday’s Italian Civil Code, Translated from Italian, Roman Law and Modern Civil Law, Vol. 1.
11.“The Aspects of Integration and Unification in
12.“The Characteristics of Basilici and Its Position in the Byzantine Law and in the European Juridical Tradition, Translated from Italian, Roman Law and Modern Civil Law, Vol. 1.
13.“The Codification of Private Law in
14.“A Brief Description to legal system of Land: From the foundation of Roma to the End of Republic”, Translated from Italian, Roman law and Modern Civil Law, Vol. 2.
15.“The Objective Good Faith in the Contract Law
1. “Freedom of Migration and Difference between City and Countryside”, Translated in English by myself, Rechtstheorie, Beih. Duncker, Berlin, Germany, 1998.
2. “The Basis of Theory about the Value in Doctrin of Laesio Enormis and the Problem of Intangible Thing of Chinese Civil Law (La base della teoria sul valore nella dottrina della laesio enormis e e il problema delle res incoeporales del Diritto Civile Cinese)”, Translated in Italian by myself, NEWS EN GRAF.S.A, Lima, Peru’, 1999.
Religious Liberty in People’s Republic of China (La liberta’ Religiosa di
PRC)”, Translated by Yuri Gonzalez Roldan into Spanish, Revista de
Investigacion Juridica de
4. “The Basic Structure of Draft of Civil Code for
People’s Republic of China of South-Central University of Political Sciences
and Law and the Institute of Gaius (La struttura basilare del progetto di
codice civile per
1. “The Revival of Spirits of Roman Law in China (Il Risorgere dello Spirito del Diritto Romano in Cina)”, Translated from Chineses into Italian, Index, vol. 24, Naples, Italy, 1996.
2. “The relationship between
the Civil Law of Taiwan and the Roman Law (I Rapporti tra il diritto civile di
(5) Other professional activities Member of the Editorial Committee of Foreign Law library financed by Ford Foundation 1992 to 1997; Member of Board of Editors of Law Review of Xiamen University 2001 to date; Participant of the 17th IVR (International Association for Philosophy and Social Philosophy) World Congress in Bologna, Italy 1995; Participant of 10 th Latin American Congress of Roman Law in Lima,Peru 1996; Participant of the 8th Colloquium of Romanist of Central Oriental European Countries and of Italy in Vladivostok, Russia 2000；Participant of the Internatinal Congress Flaminio Mancaleoni and the Studies in Roman law in 19 th and 20 th Centuries in Sassari, Italy 2001.
(6) Membership and activities in professional association Board of Directors of China Association of Scholars in Civil and Economic Law 1996 to date; Board of Directors of China Society for Researching Foreign Legal History 2001 to date；Honorary Board of Directors of Society of Procurators of Hubei Province 1996.
(7) Professional honors, awards and fellowships Winner of the awards of second class for excellent thesis issued two times by the Association of Scholars in Civil and Economic Law of China 1992 and 1993; Winner of the award of first class and second class for excellent scientific research issued by South Central University of Political Sciences and Law 1990 and 1991;Winner of the award of third class for excellent works of social sciences of national young scholar for the first competition 1994; Winner of the prize nomination for excellent works of social sciences of national young scholar for the second competition 1997; Winner of the award for excellent thesis for commemorating the 100 th number of Cass Journal of Law 1995; Winner of the award of first class for excellent juridical research results of 3rd competition in Wuhan Municipality 1996; Winner for two times of the awards for excellent thesis issued by the Ministery of Justice of China; Winner of the award of first class for excellent thesis issued by group of experts for judgement of China Society of Researching for Foreign Legal History 2001; Winner of the Scholarship for excellent foreign students issued by the Municipality of Rome 1995; Winner of the prize for outstanding young jurist nomination awarded by China Society of Law Sciences 1995; Fellow honoris cause of the Center of Study of Roman Law, Southwest University of Political Sciences and Law 1993; Professor honoris causa of Wuhan University 1996; Professor honoris cause of Heilongjiang University 2001; Honorary director of Institute of African Law at University of Xiangtang 2000; Winner of the honor title “hundred excellent figures from ten kinds of works“ issued by the Ministery of Justice of China 1997;Winner of honor title “excellent teacher”issued by South Central University of Political Sciences and Law 1998; Winner of allowance for outstanding expert of the State Council of China 1998; Winner of the allowance for important position (second class) in Xiamen University 2000-2003.
(8) Community service Arbitrator
of the Arbitration Committee of Guangzhou Municipality 1997 to date; Adviser on
legal affairs of Politics and Law Committee of Wuhan Municipality 1998 to 2000;
Member of Expert Committee for Consultation of Procuratorate of Kaiyuan